Here are a few reverse mortgage benefits, across the board:
- No monthly payments. The loan is repaid by the sale or refinancing of the home. (Consumer would still pay property taxes, homeowners insurance and/or HOA fees.)
- The infusion of money from a reverse mortgage is tax-free income and can be spent in any way the homeowners choose.
- Qualifying is based on the borrower’s age, current interest rates and the value of the home, not the homeowner’s credit or employment status.
- Fees may be financed as part of the mortgage. The borrower incurs little out-of-pocket expenses to obtain the reverse mortgage.
- No maturity date. A reverse mortgage becomes due when the borrower sells the home or permanently moves out of the home. A reverse mortgage can also become due if the borrower does not maintain their property taxes, homeowners insurance or reasonable maintenance of the property.
- No prepayment penalty for FHA-insured HECM loans. These loans can be partially or fully paid off at any time with no additional fees or costs.
- Asset protection: At the end of the reverse mortgage, the amount that must be paid is the sum of the actual funds received or advanced for fees, plus accrued interest and FHA insurance. The repayment amount will never exceed the value of the home, as long as the property is sold to pay back the reverse mortgage.
For an individual assessment of your reverse mortgage benefits, get in touch with David Chee.Request a Free, Customized Quote